Spontaneous Unicorn RPG's
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Gryphon Mountain Park

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Gryphon Mountain Park - Page 2 Empty Re: The Gryphon Mountain Park

Post  myori Sat Aug 14 2010, 19:22

It wasn’t the loosening of the cast or Berezi’s initial touch that woke Pan. As the swelling had gone down is had taken some of the pain with it, leaving his ankle slightly numb. The filly’s touches were gentle enough not to bother any of the nerves there. It was the cool feeling of the salve that she put on it instead that broke through his sleep. Barely cracking his eyes open they met the bright sky, and he shut them again. His leg must have gotten wet somehow while he slept, and he’d deal with it a little later. But then the wetness spread ever so slightly up his leg. Frowning in confusion he twisted his shoulders and head so that he could look down past his body at his ankle.

Opening his eyes again he saw Berezi sitting there, and he couldn’t help but smile at the thought that he wasn’t surprised. Rubbing his eyes he closed them again. “Thanks for that. I hope you haven’t been up waiting on me for long.” He waited for a reply, but after a minute of silence he looked at her. She was still looking at his leg, as if he’d said nothing. He touched her hip then, a little awkwardly, but it was the only thing he could reach from this position, hoping she was ok. Her flinch caused him to jump as well. He guessed he’d startled her but… people that are surprised don’ tend to cover their faces like that. That was as if she was defending herself from someone….

Trying not to think too much about it he sat up, rubbing his eyes once more. “Yeah, it feels much better. Thanks for…” But she was already walking away. Pan stared after her. Something was definitely bothering her, but it wasn’t dark anymore. Maybe she was still worried about getting home. The colt scrabbled to his feet, ignoring the dull throb in his ankle. It wasn’t as bad as it was yesterday anyway, and walking was much easier. He limped as quickly as he could after the filly. He wasn’t too far behind her, but she had gotten out of the clearing pretty fast. He followed the sound of her rustling through the woods, and when he could no longer hear that he tracked her through the newly disturbed undergrowth, following a path of stomped leaves and plants and broken twigs.

A surprised “oh” escaped the colt as he pushed past a tree to come upon the filly sitting on some stones in the middle of a small creek. She was wet, and by the way she sat, once more curled up around her knees, he could tell she was crying. Quickly he stepped into the creek, almost slipping but catching himself before he fell, and kneeled in front of the filly. “Berezi? Berezi, are you ok? What’s wrong?” He could tell she’d fallen, but somehow he knew that wasn’t the reason she’d been crying. She’d been worried last night, and this morning as she checked his leg, and maybe this was the same thing. He laid his hands on her shoulders, staring at her for a moment before gently grabbing her arms. Standing, he pulled her up too. He would have stopped if he had felt any resistance, but she didn’t stop him, and so he got her up, walked her to the bank, and set her down. Once she was there, he sat down beside her. He always felt kind of awkward being around others when they cried, but right now he didn’t dare leave. He didn’t know what was wrong with the filly, or what might cheer her up. “I… have a feeling that getting out of this place isn’t what’s bothering you. So what is it? Is it anything I can help with?” He watched her for a response, sincerely wishing he could help in some way.

-Pan

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Nim didn’t blame the rangers for not letting Aia go with them. She would most likely work herself up again, and that wouldn’t be a good thing, especially in a helicopter. He took the walkie talkie she held out to him, clipping it to a belt loop on his pants. “I will certainly let you know if I find anything,” he said. He walked off down the trail, further than they had gone yesterday, but he didn’t see anything. He was not a great tracker, he’d not ever been trained in it or anything, but he did know what to look for. Yet, all he saw was a much used deer trail, and a few squirrels leaping through the branches up ahead.

He allowed himself a sigh, the smallest hint that he was frustrated with this whole thing. He was frustrated with himself, and with the children. He rubbed the back of his neck, wondering if the kids would be found. If not today, when? Years later? Maybe they’d show up in a week or so in a town miles away. Maybe they would never be found. For everyone’s sake he sure hoped that wouldn’t be the case.

Just as he was about to turn around, still having seen nothing helpful, the walkie talkie at his side crackled. He picked it up, listening carefully. Aia’s words sent a chill racing down his spine, and his ears flicked backwards briefly. “Aia, what is your location? I will come help you.” As soon as she had told him the walkie talkie was back on his belt loop and he was sprinting down the trail. His long legs carried him down the trail quickly, and he slowed down only as he veered off of it to reach the ravine. By the time he reached the mare he was slightly out of breath. His eyes widened as she pointed down the ravine at the bloody cloth. For a moment he only looked at it. If he remembered correctly, it had been part of the filly’s outfit. At least now they had some clue… despite what it could mean. “Well, this could mean they are moving at least.” Or that something got them. Haunts and gryphons did live up in these mountains. But he wouldn’t mention that to the mare. Instead, he started to look for a way down.

While his eyes scanned the side of the ravine, he caught a glimpse of a tree sticking out of the side of the cliff face. One of the branches had been broken off, a bigger one it seemed. He looked below it, spotting the branch, broken along the ground. And right below the tree grew a patch of ragwort, one of the plants on his list. He pointed to it. “I believe one of them must have tried to climb out to get the ragwort, using the tree there. That’s part of the filly’s clothing, so it may have been her.” He didn’t mention that there was no sign of her son. She surely was thinking about it. “This is quite the fall though. Surely if someone fell they would not be able to walk away unharmed. If we could get down there, perhaps we could follow wherever it is they have gone from here. They wouldn’t be able to climb back up this, so they’d have to go further down the ravine.”

-Nim

myori
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Alcyone Sat Aug 14 2010, 23:32

It was the kindness, the worry in the colt’s voice that made her allow him to take her away. Despite everything she felt she could trust him. That however didn’t stop her tears but she turned away from him, hiding her face when she saw it made him uncomfortable. It might have been hard to hear and understand them between sobs but finally she got some words out “…I…don’t want to…back to…don’t…they don’t see, don’t believe…me…but Arik…think its me…like I would…do…and he…he…even if…if…say no…if I said…hurt more…mom…dad…thought I was free…from him…but now…cant…school…no money…replace books…” The filly started to cry even more, she was so scared of having to go back to the one that beat and in other ways tormented her. She cried over her parents and her lost future. Who would hire anyone without a degree? When she felt his touch on her shoulder she turned around and looked at him. Her eyes were blank from the tears and her cheeks damp from the same. The da filly’s blacklined ears were still flopped to the side and her course mane that was cut short enough to stand up, were still slightly tussled and held some leafs and traces of moss.

The colt was the first one that showed her concern and actually seemed to care. At the youth home – that wasn’t a very good one – they hadn’t cared at all…only for the money they got for housing them. The faster they got them out somewhere else the more money they got so they didn’t really cared what happened. They had a max period of staying, six months, and then a new home had to be found otherwise you had to go back to the foster parent. They hadn’t found any proof on what he had done to her, his friends were of course on his side, the neighbor that had helped her before had taken it back (after some anonymous threats). The shelters weren’t exactly the top choice but she rather lived on the street than with him. Somehow she then found herself in the colts arms, he held her, stroking her over her back. Part of her wanted to pull back, the way he stroked her made his hand stroke her lower back and doing so stroking some of her scars from the whip. She knew they could be felt and not only seen especially since her tank top was ripped in half. When he stopped and grew stiff she knew why. Berezi sniffled, dreaded his question. It felt so good just leaning on him like this, just feeling his breathing, his warmth and his arms around her. Would he turn away from her because of this?

She had been very careful around guys…especially since…two times had they tried…luckily they had been too drunk making it easy for her to get away, but it still had scared her. She sobbed and pressed her head closer. “…he did it…” she said finally…”…he did it because I dropped his whiskey…the bottle broke…he did it because I hadn’t dinner ready…he did it because I wasn’t his wife…he did it because his wife left him and I had to stay…” Berezi continued to talk into his shoulder. “I don’t know why I tell you…no one believes me anyway…the home say I did this to get attention…and…I wont be allowed back…and…I don’t want to go back…to Arik…” the filly sobbed “…I don’t have anything…nobody wants me…I am…nothing…waste…I am like that old oak…in the way…disposable…”

She felt him starting stroking her again but more on her head this time. The filly couldn’t help the stifled little giggle and the lopsided smile. She was still upset but it was like he thought that not touching the scars would make it better, like it wouldn’t hurt, but she could be wrong. The filly lifted her head from his chest, sat herself more upright and looked at him for the first time since he had sat down beside her. His worried blue met her sorrow filled brown and he stroked her cheek. Somehow she couldn’t look away. For a long time they just looked into each others eyes and as the last tear freed itself and rolled down he dried it with his finger. She leaned a little onto his hand and closed her eyes. His touch felt nice and she felt herself relax a little. As she looked up again his nose had somehow come closer to hers and at that moment it felt like her stomach got filled with butterflies. It felt like the time stood still and then…if it was possible it felt like she had gotten an electric shock, his lips against hers.

Aia bit her lip so hard it almost started bleeding. It was a pretty far drop to the bottom. From a pocket on her shorts she hauled up a map over the area. This ravine parted a pretty big area in two and then it was divided into even smaller canyons at the other end. Footing in most of them were pretty unstable, one was even said to have patches of quicksand that was caused by water circulation underground. It made the sand on top appear solid. Not knowing what to look for quicksand could be difficult to discover from the surrounding environment because it could support leaves and other small debris, making it appear solid. There were many sandbanks that were sandbanks and then these traps. Aia wasn’t sure Pan knew and she didn’t know anything about the filly.

The mare took a deep breath and started to climb down. Pan was alright, he had to be alright! “We have no time to loose…They would be able to go much further, of course this is the longest ravine close to here…just look at the map…the only way out is the one looking like a dead end…if they have come to that I'm sure they will think just that…and the others…if Alma had invented a roulette of dangers in nature this…this is the place…I can only pray that…they keep track on what they do and on the sun. It can get pretty hot down there.”

-Berezi
-Aia
Alcyone
Alcyone

Back to top Go down

Post  myori Sun Aug 15 2010, 19:51

As Berezi started speaking, Pan leaned over a little closer, trying to make out just what she was saying. He was worried that he wasn’t hearing all of it, for it didn’t make complete sense. But as the words, though seemingly mismatched, strung together his eyes gradually widened. After she finished he just sat there staring at the creek flowing by, trying to piece this information together. Someone named Arik… hurt her? Or her mom and dad? And now she can’t go back, because they don’t believe her… and she was worried about school; about replacing the books. That last one was easy enough to deal with, though he guessed maybe it was more of a problem for someone that didn’t even have a home. But he’d help out. His dam would surely be willing to help, and even if she didn’t really have the money to replace Berezi’s books (because she also had to replace his), he had some money saved up. He’d give it to the filly to buy new stuff with. But this Arik guy… he wasn’t sure if there was anything he could do about that. He wasn’t even sure what had happened with this guy, though it didn’t sound good.

But right now he couldn’t do anything for her. He had no more than she did, right now, stuck in these woods. The only thing he could do is cheer her up and get her out of here. Turning to her he set his hand on her shoulder, not sure what else to do. Cheering others up wasn’t his forte, but he’d give it a shot. When she looked at him he smiled. Nothing seemed right to say at the moment, but he didn’t even really feel it was necessary. Instead, he found himself scooting over to take up the last bit of room between them, and then he wrapped his arms around her. Then, because his mother had used to rub his back as a small foal, he slowly, hesitatingly, ran his hand down her back. When his hand slid over a raised line, then another, he stopped. They were scars, he knew, like the one he’d felt on her shoulder. He knew he shouldn’t ask. That was crossing too far into personal boundaries… but she’d already offered him some information. And sometimes it was better to talk about it…. “Berezi…” he started, “Where… where did you get these? Your scars.”

Pan wanted to see her face as she spoke to him, but she pressed closer, and he let her. Her wrapped his arms around her tighter, almost subconsciously, and listened. The more she talked, the more shocked and disgusted he became. Not at her, certainly not. At Arik, though he wasn’t sure exactly what he did to her, he could tell, especially by the scars, that it was something awful. He was also angry at the unicorns running the shelter. How could they not believe her? Were they blind, and just couldn’t see the scars?! He wondered if the scars hurt Berezi. If maybe every time he touched one if served as another reminder of what had happened. Quickly he moved his hand to the back of her head, and continued stroking her there, ever now and then picking a piece of loose grass or a leaf out of her coarse mane.

When she started to lean away he didn’t stop her, though a slight touch of regret ran through him. Maybe she had just realized that he wasn’t being any help, and maybe she regretted telling him. He looked down into her eyes, but didn’t see those feelings there. Just fear and lots of hurt. His chest felt tight suddenly. He felt so bad for the filly. She was so nice, so smart. She didn’t tease people, and she didn’t care about the stupid things lots of fillies at their school cared about. No one should be able to treat her like this Arik guy had.

A different feeling settled in the bottom of his stomach, and he shakily slid his hand from behind her head to the side of her face. Not only was she all of those things, but she was pretty. Not in the traditional sense, no, but that was to be expected. She was a Da after all. Yet, there was nothing wrong with that. A tear ran down her face, and he wiped it away. He found the lack of horn exotic, and the fact that she had no beard or ear tassels made her face seem smoother, almost more feminine than a unicorns, despite the fact that her face was rather broad.

Pan had never kissed a filly before. He’d never even dated anyone. He’d just always been too awkward or shy before. It had always worried him that he wouldn’t know the right things to do, but now he understood. If it was the right thing to do, then you just knew to do it. Only that could explain that he was leaning in closer to her face. He knew what was happening, and he assumed he was doing it, but still his stomach roiled with nervousness. Millions of thoughts seemed to span the short distance between them, like “what if she rejects me?” or “what if I miss?” and “will this scare her away?” but still he kept going until their lips met, and suddenly every thought he’d had just fell away. He felt great, and it seemed to just come natural. It wasn’t difficult or anything. And when he leaned back he was almost breathless.

For a moment he just stared at her, and then he glanced away, smiling goofily, his face and ears burning with embarrassment. He tried to talk to cover up the worries that were slowly trickling back into his mind. “I… I… uhh…” He chuckled awkwardly to himself, and tried again. This time, he looked back to Berezi, trying to get control of how light he suddenly felt. “Don’t… don’t ever say that, Berezi. You aren’t waste, or anything like that old oak. Far from it.” His hands slid down her arms from where they sat on her shoulders, ignoring the scars they passed over, and took hold of her hands. “And don’t worry about the home. Or… Arik. Forget them. When we get out of here, I’ll talk to my mom. We’ll find you somewhere to stay that’s far better than any of those places. I’ll even ask her if you can come stay with us. We don’t have much either, but I think you’d like it there.” He smiled and squeezed her hands gently as he talked, hoping to get her spirits up. His own were soaring. The cuts and bruises and his sprained ankle were all forgotten now. He felt like he could walk all day, and his hopes were high for getting back home.

He got to his feet, still holding the filly’s hands, and pulled her up too. For a second he stared at her, then, feeling brave, he chanced a quick peck on her cheek. “I’ve got a good feeling that we’ll get out of here today. So, come on. I love forests and all, but I’ve had enough of them for this trip.” Still holding one of her hands, he set off, walking alongside the creek.

-Pan

--------------------------------------------------------------

Nim went to look over Aia’s shoulder at the map. His eyes scanned it, noting the ravine snaking along. Just a drawing of this land looked treacherous if you didn’t know what you were doing, and even then unicorns still got lost up here. It would be a long time until he took a class on a field trip here again. They’d just be going to the park from now on.

He started to carefully climb down after Aia, not bothering to say that dehydration was probably the student’s smallest problem out here. If they could survive everything else, hopefully they could find water. A few times Nim lost his footing and slid, but he made it to the bottom mostly unhurt with just some scratches on his hand and arms. He dusted himself off and walked over to pick up the fabric. As he unfolded it he recognized it as the blouse Berezi had been wearing. “This is definitely the fillies jacket. But the way it was balled up like this..” he turned to look at Aia. It was more as if it was being used to stop some bleeding, wouldn’t you think?” He looked up and down the ravine. From here the sides seemed even higher. They definitely wouldn’t have tried climbing out, especially with one of them hurt. “Which way do you think they went?”

-Nim

myori
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Alcyone Sun Aug 15 2010, 23:01

Her lips still tingled, like his lips were still there. A part of her wondered why he had kissed her; a part of her didn’t care because it made her heart soar. However it skipped a beat when he turned away from her. Did he regret it, he didn’t mean it? She only worried for a second, he smiled, surely he wouldn’t smile if he regretted it, could he? She wanted to cry again but not for being sad for once. There were too many emotions trapped inside. The colt sounded so positive that things would work out but...the filly didn’t dare to get her hopes up. Berezi didn’t have any classes with his mother but she had heard from others that she could be pretty firm and she was ‘only’ the art teacher. She let him pull her up and wasn’t prepared the quick kiss on her cheek. It wasn’t she didn’t want him to, she actually found herself... She felt her ears getting hot by the thought of it. What would her sire have said! Yet she let him hold her hand and followed him without hesitation.

“Why...” she was about to ask about the kiss but realised that it might not be something you asked anything about and she felt embarrassed just thinking of it so she said something else “...do you think...your mother will...help me...she...doesn’t...know me...” She looked at the hand that held hers. It was a sort of off white, it was actually a bit dirty and she thought she could see a little scrape. Her own almost black hand still stood out against it, not only by color but by shape. Why had he kissed her? In the back of her head something told her that it didn’t matter, he had done it by his free will and that she should look where they were going instead of thinking of stuff like this. She glanced at him. The colt looked happy, he grinned, tasseled ears pointing forward, his tail swinging. He limped a little but not as bad as the day before. She had braided her own tail to keep it in order and the mixed coloration made the braiding look more complex than it really was. “Pan? Do you know where we are going?” Just as she said that the small creek was turning left through a smaller canyon and revealing something that looked like a crossroad. All looked the same except one; it looked to go upwards, making the impression to lead up the steep side. “Look Pan!! Maybe we can come up that way!” Berezi smiled and let go of the colts hand as she started to run. She knew Pan couldn’t run so she thought she could run ahead to save time. “We made it Pan, we ma...” She had almost rounded the small curve when she was stopped by a wall of stone. At one point it probably was a path through but it had been a long time ago since on some rocks grass grew. She couldn’t hide her disappointment. “...it a dead end...” Then she heard a shrill whistle, one she never heard before but her eyes grew wide when she saw what it was. In panic she looked around and found a branch with some old leafs on it. She started to wave and shake it as she ran toward the edge making the dry leafs rustle. The shrill came again, closer this time and a large shadow passed over the colt. She looked back, saw the creature and screamed DUCK PAN! DUCK! HIDE!

Aia frowned. Would the filly use her own jacket to stop bleeding on herself? It was more likely to do that on...someone...else... The mare took a shivering breath. It wasn’t really any blood on the ground so it couldn’t be a big wound. That was at least some comfort. She kneeled to look at the ground more careful. There were some bits and pieces of barque and wines here...and plants... The mare took up the few fallen leafs and sniffed them, she found a small piece of its root and she put it in her mouth and chewed on it before spitting it out. “This is Arnica montana...it’s a medical plant...used for strains, sprains and bruises...have you taught them that?” She looked at the other teacher with slight astonishment. “I have given Pan books but...” The mare dropped what she had in her hands, it didn’t matter now...they needed to find the kids.

A bit further down she noted there had been a slide and she carefully looked up the slopes to see signs that could alert if there would be any more. She didn’t see that the stallion stopped and therefore walked straight into him. “Uhhg” The impact wasn’t that great but still she had to fight to regain her balance. “Why did you stop like that?” She followed his gaze and felt her heart stop. Felt it break into a thousand pieces, shatter like crystal glass. The brown mare sunk to the ground, heard a high pitched, almost unreal, eerie wail, and didn’t realize it was her own. Before her were the remains of a slide and almost at the bottom two backpacks were seen, as good as completely covered with mud. Aia crumpled over her legs and cried. Her son was gone and nothing could she do to get him back! She had been forced to bury so many that she loved...why did Alma do this to her...why...did the goddess force her to bury her son as well...

She ignored the pats on the back. Maybe it was just a horrible nightmare...but the sharp rocks were starting to dig into her legs despite the leg wraps. Finally she looked up; eyes haunted and her red mane extremely tussled. The mare did a mighty fine likeness of a female devil. What? What do you want...just...call the cops...make them...get someone to move...them...” She lowered her head towards the ground...gave up...felt the lack of sleep getting to her....lost the will to live...

-Berezi
-Aia
Alcyone
Alcyone

Back to top Go down

Post  myori Mon Aug 16 2010, 00:57

Pan walked along happily, feeling as if nothing could stop them now. They’d find their way back, he’d help out Berezi, and things would go back to normal, with the exception that both of them now had each other. He wondered what school would be like now, not sitting alone in class, or at lunch. True, they didn’t have all their classes together, but they did have some. And those classes they had together would be so much more fun now. Even Berezi’s more realistic question didn’t bother him. “My mom’s a good mare. Kind. Even if we don’t have room for you at home, I don’t think she’d let you stay in that home you’re in now, if she knows how awful it is.”

He continued on, his steps bouncy, half from his joy and half from his limp. His exhilaration finally faltered slightly as Berezi asked him for the second time in their journey if he knew where he was going. “Well…” he mumbled, slightly embarrassed. He didn’t know where they were or where they were headed, exactly, but he hoped that traveling up stream of the river would eventually take them to civilization of some kind, whether it was their town or not. It wasn’t the best plan, but he’d lost all bearing of their location or direction. Thankfully Berezi’s shout stopped him from having to admit it. His face lit up, at the thought of being out of the canyons and also slightly at seeing Berezi so happy. He let go of her hand as she ran ahead, limping as quickly as he could behind her. Pan’s steps slowed as the dead end loomed up over them. “Ugh…” he sighed, disappointment growing.

The colt rubbed the crest of his black and brown mane. Now what? The whistle startled him, making him jump. Berezi burst into action, but he only stared slowly up at the sky, growing still as a shadow passed over him. Overhead the sun was briefly blocked from his view, covered by a large creature. He’d never seen or heard one in real life, but all foals were taught about the animals. How the biggest ones could lift away a full grown stallion. He gaped up at the gryphon, now circling back around. A primitive rush of fear shot up his spine as Berezi’s voice knocked him out of his thoughts.

The wingcat was diving swiftly through the air now, straight towards him. There were few places to hide in this canyon, only some rocks and bushes. Leaping into the quickest run he could he headed towards a large rock at the ravine’s edge. Glancing over his shoulder he saw the gryphon growing closer and closer. It shrieked again, golden eyes set into a blue face focused straight on him. He was so close to the rock, but he didn’t think he’d make it. Lifting his arms over his head he dropped his legs out from under him, sliding behind the boulder despite the pain that shot up his ankle in protest.

As he’d hoped, the gryphon was not able to drop the few extra feet in those few seconds, and had to turn upwards sharply to avoid hitting the canyon wall. It flapped its great wings, lifting itself higher until it circled once more. Pan peeked over the top of the rock. The gryphon was no longer focused on him, it seemed, but Berezi. As it hurtled towards her the colt quickly picked up the biggest rock he could, hoisted himself up to lean against the boulder, and threw the rock straight at the gryphon. “Hey, you stupid thing! Leave her alone!”

-Pan

---------------------------------------------------------------------

“I have not taught them about that particular plant, no,” Nim replied, slightly taken aback by Aia’s plant knowledge. “They may have learned about that in a health class, but I highly doubt it.” The teal stallion followed Aia down the ravine, eventually passing her as she slowed to look more closely at their surroundings. He’d drawn a little ways in front of her when he saw the evidence of a landslide. Rain must have eroded the slopes, causing the dirt and rocks to crumble down here. And it seemed recent. Perhaps even within the day, for the dirt had not completely settled yet… his guess was confirmed as two spots of colors interrupted the brown and beige of the rubble. It was two backpacks, and the only way for them to get that completely buried was to be sitting there when the rocks fell.

It was difficult to keep the shock off of his face. He figured the chances of the students surviving would be slim… but that didn’t stop part of him wishing they’d find them. And this… this was a particularly awful way to go, or for them to be found. Just as he thought that Aia bumped into him. “Mmph…” he mumbled quietly, regaining his balance. He turned to her, wondering if maybe he should turn her away, but she’d already seen them. “Aia…” he said, not sure what he could say to her. Given her outbreaks the previous night, he wasn’t surprised when she fell to the ground.

He allowed her to sob for a minute, undisturbed, before he knelt down to pat her on the back reassuringly. “Aia,” he said again. It was rare that he didn’t know what he wanted to say, but right now… he was still rather shocked, and what did you say to someone who’d just lost their only family member? But obviously the mare didn’t want him to say anything to her. Nim stood, taking his cell phone out of his pocket. As he dialed the number he walked away from the mare. It might not be good for her to hear the call. One of the rangers picked up, as he’d hoped. They had cops helping with the search this morning, and it would be quicker to call them over instead of getting new cops to come from the station. “Yes, this is Nim. We may have found them… down in the Ravine…. No, I’m not sure. There’s been a landslide, and we can see the book bags of the students trapped underneath…. No, we can’t see anything of the students. So, can you come help us… yes… yes, that’d be good.” He hung up his cell phone and headed back to the mare. She was still on the ground and he kneeled back down by her. “Aia, the rangers and cops are on their way; even the helicopter. They will help us move the rocks.” And though he highly doubted it, and usually wouldn’t bother even saying it, he couldn’t help but add, “They may not even be under there. Perhaps it is just their book bags, and they are further down the canyon.” Aia just seemed so depressed now that he wanted to cheer her up.

-Nim

myori
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Alcyone Mon Aug 16 2010, 02:50

Why had she starting to wave the branch for? She could have just warned Pan and then go and hide. No, instead she had lured it to her without finding a hiding place. She couldn’t remember much about these things, just that color separated the genders...this one was blue, it had to be a male, it had to since it was so big... It cried out again as it came closer, the shriek echoing against the stone walls. Cornered she didn’t know what to do next. She heard Pan shouting something; then a rock flew through the air and hit the wingcat on the head. The large creature squawked in both pain and surprise. The hiss it let out next was like a mix of snake, bird and cat, the sound sent shivers through her bones. Yet it didn’t seem to stop it for long, it had been to far away for the throw to be hard. It casted a quick glance at the colt who at thrown the rock but he was still pretty sheltered while she was not. Berezi had however, when the predator looked back, picked up two rocks of her own.

Another shrill call made her loose focus and she missed her target with the first rock. The other one however hit the creature on the base of its sharp beak. Being sharp the rock caused a small wound and a sound expressing pain. It flapped so close to her that she felt the draft of air from the wings. She hurried to pick up two new ones. The third rock she also missed with and the forth hit one of the birdlike forefeet but now as it passed over her it bent down to grab the filly. Somehow it only managed to slash at her upper body and nip at her mane. She ducked just in time. Then more rocks came flying and the predator got hit several times in the head, beak and on the wings. It seemed that it became too much for the wingcat, the two halfgrowns to be thought of as an easy meal wasn’t that easy as it first thought.

The large creature leaves, the frustration clearly heard in the shrill sounds it made. Berezi however doesn’t care. She runs as quickly as she can, straight into the colts arms, pressing herself against him, hugging him tightly. “Are you alright?” She then winces at his touch and as she looks at his hand that sports the white sock she can see it’s red. The wingcat had managed to draw some blood even if it’s just a scratch. It’s on her back and impossible for her to see for herself. Not until now she is starting to feel the pain from it but doesn’t do more than grimaces, it doesnt feel more than the wounds she got from the whip. The filly steps closer to the colt again, and leans her head against his chest at the same time she stroke him. Somehow, with just these few hours, her life has changed. Somehow…she has started to feel something for this colt that she never thought she would feel…she can only hope that it would stay the same when this is all over.

She barely reacted. What did it matter who came? She swallowed. Slowly the mare became lethargic, didn’t care what happened around her. Pan…was gone…her life was gone…she dreaded the service…to see Pans dad…he surely had someone new…she would be alone…she wouldn’t have to worry about money anymore…she could sell the house…she had bought it for Pan…so he would have a yard to play in.

“Yeah…like…like that would happen…I doubt that they would just leave their backpacks like that…I'm sure…you are aware…how fast these move…if they…didn’t see…they…didn’t had a chance…” The mare had stopped crying but the pain coming from her would probably make even the most hardhearted stallion feel sorry for her. “…what do I do now…”

For reason unknown she followed the stallion that had begun walking. She didn’t know where, she simply followed…it didn’t matter…nothing mattered…the last words she had spoken had been about laundry…and dishes…and what…clothes… What was she gonna do with all his clothes? His things? How would she be able to go into his room? Into the house knowing she would never hear his voice again. The mare staggered like she had been drunk, and hardly reacted at the faint shrill sound. It wasn’t close anyway.

-Berezi
-Aia
Alcyone
Alcyone

Back to top Go down

Post  myori Mon Aug 23 2010, 03:41

Pan smiled bitterly as the rock he threw hit its target. A chill of fear still ran down his spine as the great creature turned back to look at him, but he had suspected it. It’s what he’d wanted to happen after all, and he was already preparing himself for it to start heading back towards him. However, he wasn’t ready for it to keep going after the filly. His chest tightened as terror grasped him. There wasn’t anything he could do to stop this thing. He started to look around for another rock, his only hope, when the wingcat’s cry of pain sounded again. He looked up just in time to see Berezi throw her last two rocks. Quickly he gathered some rocks, not bothering much with size, and started hurling them one after one at the gryphon.

As he picked up another rock and threw it he began preparing himself again for it to come back towards him, but Alma seemed to be in their favor. Just as they had survived all the other obstacles in this ravine, it seemed they would survive a gryphon attack too. The large blue predator flew away, shrieking angrily. Pan watched after it, rocks still clenched in his hands, waiting in case it turned around. As it was lost from sight over the edge of the cliffs he looked back down to see Berezi running at him. Immediately he dropped the rocks and flung his arms around her, holding her tightly. “I’m fine,” he breathed. “You… are you…” he started, but wetness on his hand made him stop. He lifted his white hand from her back, looking down at it. “You’re hurt,” he says quietly, staring at the red spread over his hand. Without breaking their embrace he cranes his head to look down at her back. He sighs, spotting the gash. It wasn’t deep, but it was bleeding a good bit, and they had nothing left to wrap over it.

But the filly didn’t seem to mind, as she only drew closer to him. Pan tried not to think about her wounds, since there was nothing to do about it and she didn’t seem to be in pain, but he was still so worried about her; this filly, that he hadn’t hardly even known just yesterday. He wrapped his arms back around her, though more gently, and just was glad that he could stand there and hug her and have her hug him back.

-Pan

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Nim agreed. They wouldn’t have had a chance. Landslides happened in only seconds, and if you happened to be standing in the wrong place at the wrong time then there was nothing you could do to avoid the falling debris. He stared at the backpacks; the only thing left that signaled the loss of two of his students. He couldn’t answer Aia’s question. Well, he could, but he wouldn’t.

She would have to go on living. It would be best for her to continue teaching, since it was her means of income as far as he knew, but she would be out of school for quite some time, grieving. Perhaps even until the next school year. A long term substitute would have to be called in and given lesson plans for her class. Both she and Nim would have to fill out many forms, he more so than her. Funerals would need to be arranged, and the home of the filly contacted, though Nim doubted that would do any good. The home wouldn’t help with any of the expenses. The filly might not even get a real funeral, actually. Other things would need to be done, but Nim for once did not feel like thinking about outcomes right now. A strange feeling still remained at the back of his mind. He did not want to admit that it was a denial that the students were dead… but there was that small chance they survived the landslide. A very, very small chance, but a chance nonetheless.

Pulling the walkie talkie off of his belt loop his pressed the button to speak into it. When he asked the rangers told him that they were almost there. He told them he was going to take a look a little farther down the ravine, and that he would be back soon to see how the excavation was coming along. When he clipped the walkie talkie back to his belt loop he turned to his fellow teacher. “Aia, I’m going down the ravine a little bit further to see if there are any signs that either of the students went that way. Will you stay here, or come with me?” The stallion stared at her for a moment, but she didn’t answer. He wasn’t even sure she’d heard. The grief had all but deafened her, so he didn’t bother repeating it. Yet, he noted as her footsteps started after him.

They had walked for a while, not a word spoken between them, when the rock started to give way to grass and shrubs. Nim followed the path as trees rose up around it, and stopped suddenly as a small clearing came into view; and in the middle of that clearing, a campfire. He didn’t rush to it, but his steps did become more deliberate, and before he reached it he looked back to Aia. She still seemed shocked and unaware of her current surroundings, so he kneeled down without saying anything. He studied the ashes. They had yet to be blown away or washed away, meaning they must be recent. Looking around from his spot on the ground he noticed a few cups nearby. They were small, and woven of plants. The teal stallion stared at them. He wasn’t given long to think about them, though, as a shrill cry sounded through the air. He looked up. Aia seemed not to have heard that either. Standing he dropped the cup, looking above him.

The cry had sounded too far away for them to be in danger, and too close to the ground for it to be far in the air. As the cry sounded again and again he turned in the direction it was coming from. The call sounded… distressed? One of his ears twitched in curiosity, but he knew it wouldn’t be smart to go seek out a gryphon, especially not one that sounded like that. Trying to decide what to do now, the gryphon suddenly flew over them. He watched it carefully, but it didn’t seem to notice them. It wasn’t carrying any prey however, so he wondered what it could have been shrieking about… unless it had been attacked, but what would attack a gryphon? The only thing that stood any chance against a gryphon was a unicorn, and that was only because of their smarts, but even for them it was no easy task to get away from one unharmed.

He stared into the trees from the direction it had come from, and then checked his watch. There was still time before the cops and rangers would have the landslide cleaned up. Making up his mind he walked swiftly into the woods, only slowing every now and then to make sure Aia was following. His long strides moved him rather quickly through the trees, and despite her current state Aia managed to keep up. As the woods thinned back into rocks a creek met their path, turning into the ravine with them. He followed it through the cliff ledges. The ravine suddenly branched off into several smaller canyons, and he paused, wondering which one to go down, when suddenly, down one, a figure caught his eye. Or, as he studied it closer, two figures, one grey and one brown, embracing. He couldn’t stop the twitch of a smile at the edge of his lips, and he turned to Aia. “Aia, look,” is all he said, pointing down the path towards the two students.

-Nim

(OOC: Sorry for the absence, but I hope that the fact that Aia finally gets to see her baby will make up for it. :) )

myori
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Alcyone Wed Aug 25 2010, 01:03

One breath, two…Berezi let herself just stand there, breathing, feeling the colts warmth next to her, his breathing, hearing the soft beating of his heart, feeling safe. The gash hurted a little more now but it was nothing compared to the wounds made by the whip. She hadn’t been able to do anything about those and she couldn’t do anything about this either. The thing she could do was to just stand here, hugging the colt she really just had known for a day. Was that possible to…love…someone in that short period? Maybe, if she just held her eyes closed maybe her life would change and she would have a future and she would be able to forget her past.

A scream broke her thoughts. It didn’t come from the large creature, it came from something else. It was a unicorn. The da filly opened her eyes, lifted her neck from the colts chest in time to see a brown mare basically toss herself down a rocky slope and now came running towards them. She fell twice, scraping her light colored legs badly but still she kept on running. It was one of the teachers, Pan’s dam. Berezi swallowed and hurried to take several steps away from the colt. She felt her eyes burn. Most likely she wouldn’t see Pan any more…at least not like this…she was a nobody and she had heard that some parents…saw her as a bad influence…even if she never had been in trouble with anything. She had heard them talking about ‘people like her’.

She watched the mare fuss over the colt, saw her hugging him tightly like if letting go would mean he would disappear. Berezi couldn’t help feeling redundant. Then she saw their other teacher come. He would probably be mad. She glanced at Pan; he had the chance of a better future than her. Sighing she intercepted him before he got to the colt and his dam.

“I'm sorry for the trouble sir…we…I thought we could find…the plants faster if we went together…and then…Pan fell sir…and…I couldn’t…I thought that we would find another way sir…but…I didn’t know where I was and…then…I lost our books…sir…” Berezi swallowed, tried to keep the tears from falling. She stood with her head bowed so she wouldn’t have to look at him. If this had been Arik the first slap would come soon. Of course…he was a teacher and…couldn’t hit her…at least not in front of others. Still she grew tense and tilted her head a little to the side as to brace herself. “I promise I will…refund the school for the books…if I can find a job but you get the money…you have my word…sir…” Suddenly she felt the tension of everything take its toll on her. So many locked in emotions had been set free, so much had happened and now…her body shut off…at least temporarily.

Everything became sort of blurry and she felt someone catch her. She felt the stallion touch where the gryphon had ‘nipped’ her, heard something that sounded like a curse. Pans voice, his dam. Then Pans arms around her and she let herself relax for the first time since she got here.

Aia thought her heart stopped. At first she had been annoyed at Nim. Why did he think she wanted to look at the nature for? She had looked up with an irritated frown but then she had seen what he pointed at. She knew that brown figure from miles away. It was her son! He lived! Thank you Alma he lived!

Without caring about the other teacher she ran towards her son. The many rocks, stones and pebbles made some parts slippery. Two times she fell and cut both her hands and legs on the sharp edges. Her left arm hurted and throbbed and both her legs bled but she kept running towards Pan. She didn’t see the filly, only the colt. At first Aia didn’t say a word. She smothered him with kisses and hugs while looking him over. Touching him like she had to be certain he stood there in front of her.

“Pan, baby, my angel…” Aia sobbed, didn’t care he saw her tears. Normally she waited til after he had gone to bed before she cried. She didn’t want him to worry about her sorrows. It had been hard after the miscarriages and after the stallion left her. He had talked about marrying her but when she miscarried the second time he had called her useless and defect and that he couldn’t possibly marry someone like her. He had called her plenty of other things and she had only tried to keep his voice down so her son wouldnt hear him, trying to block out what he said even if she was aware of it. Then, later, at night the words came back in her head fueling her grief over the little ones. She had carried the last the longest, almost three months. It hadn’t really showed but she had been taken from the school by ambulance. Thankfully she didn’t had any classes when it happened and she had blamed it on sensitivity of a wasp sting, or rather several. She had told others that she had failed removing a nest.

She hugged him hard. “My precious baby…I thought I had lost you…what would I do if I lost you…I can’t bare the thought…my baby…my only baby…my boy...” The mare then noticed something happening behind her back and she felt Pan break from her embrace. “Pan? What?…” As she turned she saw the filly had semicollapsed against Nim. She was awake but didn’t seem to be present; she looked at them but didn’t seem to see them. As her son took her in his arms Aia saw the filly become softer in her body and she closed her eyes. She met the worried eyes of her son and she placed her hand on his shoulder. “Don’t worry baby…she is just tired…” Then she saw the blood and couldnt help the flash of worry. It didn’t come much blood but the filly looked thin and slightly malnourished. In those cases even a little bloodloss could be bad. Not lethal but could make the healing slower.

-Berezi
-Aia
Alcyone
Alcyone

Back to top Go down

Post  myori Wed Jan 05 2011, 11:01

The smell of Berezi’s blood was mixing with her unique, Da scent, but Pan slowly continued to inhale anyway. After all they’d been through it was very relaxing to just stand there with the filly, knowing she was alive and temporarily safe. Pan’s breathing had returned to normal, and the tension in his shoulders caused by the presence of the gryphon was beginning to fade. Then suddenly a screech rang through his mind, and his body stiffened again. He jerked his head around to find the source of the noise, preparing himself for another wingcat, but what he saw was completely different. The colt’s mouth fell open at the sight of his mother scrambling down the embankment. Instinctively he jumped away from Berezi, coincidentally at the same moment that she let go off him, and he only had seconds to recognize Mr. Metharom following his mother before he was smothered in her affection and worry.

He threw his arms around his mom, smiling widely, and returned her first hug. As her attention continued on, though, he became still, silently allowing his mom to finish fussing over him. He smiled briefly at Berezi, then turn back to his mom to find her staring at him, crying. “Oh, mom,” he sighed. She must have been terrified. Each other was all they had, and if she had lost him… Pan didn’t want to think about it. He knew about the miscarriages, and all the other troubles. He had asked about them only once, and had known after then that it was not a subject to be discussed. His mother’s barrenness greatly distressed her he knew, but that she did her best to not show him how awful she felt about it and how she cried over it sometimes. One night when he was little he hadn’t been able to sleep, and so had crept into the kitchen of their house to see if his dam was still awake. Peeking around the doorway he had seen his mother sitting at the table, crying silently. The young foal had just watched for a moment, and then snuck back up to his room. He hadn’t known then what she had been crying about, but it wasn’t long after that before he learned. Pan had never told her that he’d seen her, because he knew she wouldn’t want him to see her that way. Now that she was crying so openly in front of him he could only guess at how distraught she must have been at his disappearance yesterday.

Guilt rushed through the colt at the thought that he had caused his mother so much pain. If they just hadn’t wandered off alone none of this would have happened. He returned his mother’s tight hug, eyes squeezed shut. “It’s alright, mom. You… you don’t have to think about that anymore. I’m alright. I’m fine, really.” The rush of emotions caused by his mom’s sudden appearance had made Pan forget the others, Berezi and Nim. He hadn’t been watching them, nor had he even realized they’d been talking. A heavy rustling in front of him caused him to open his eyes, and surprise gripped him to suddenly see Berezi collapsed in Mr. Metharom’s arms. Fear quickly replaced all of his other emotions and he rushed from his mother to Berezi.

Not even considering Mr. Metharom he gathered Berezi into his arms. “Berezi,” he muttered urgently. She didn’t respond. Didn’t even move. He had no idea what could have happened. She didn’t seem unconscious, but he had no clue what else could be wrong. “Berezi, say something,” he tried again, shakily swiping her coarse forelock from her forehead. There was still no movement and he looked up to his mother, childishly expecting her to have the cure right away. Her answer was somewhat reassuring, and he hoped she was right. Slowly and carefully he sat down, not knowing what else to do, maneuvering Berezi with him. The Da had relaxed slightly, which made him feel the tiniest bit better, and it made it easier for him to sit her in front of him with her back against his chest and his arms still around her.

Now sitting, Pan suddenly felt that he might understand what had happened to Berezi. He was overcome with a great tiredness. He knew that, though his body had been under a lot of physical strain these past two days, it wasn’t enough to make him feel like this. He guessed that all the different emotions had taken their toll too, increasing the exhaustion. The colt wanted nothing more at this moment then to curl up and go to sleep, but he forced himself to stay awake. Berezi needed him, and until someone had her properly taken care of he would watch her.

-Pan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nim watched as Aia fumbled haphazardly down the slope. His own descent was a lot less eventful, causing only a few rocks to tumble down the hill and leading to no injuries on himself. As he walked calmly towards the others he watched the reunion going on between his coworker and the boy. The huge display of emotions served to remind him of why he relied completely on reasoning and logic instead. Aia’s excitement and worry at the sight of her son had led her to fail to notice the wounds covering the filly. He wondered if she’d even noticed the dried blood on her son yet, or if she was just too focused on that fact that he was simply alive. However, he couldn’t help but wonder if he would be able to remain collected had it been his own daughter in this situation - or would he end up being consumed by emotions. He didn’t like the thought of it, and decided it wasn’t something that should be considered anyway.

He opened his mouth to speak to the filly as she walked over to him, but she beat him to it. Closing his mouth he listened. He lifted one of his eyebrows in wonder as she spoke. Her words and her stance made it seem that she was afraid of him. Of course she and the colt would need to learn that going off on their own like that was not acceptable, but it was not the worst offense in the world. And the matter of books was completely irrelevant at the time. The books had been caught in a landslide - a natural disaster. Therefore the students would not be held responsible, despite the fact that it was their fault for being in that ravine in the first place. He was about to put her mind at ease and tell her these things when suddenly she collapsed.

At first he’d thought the filly had fainted. He’d caught her instinctively, wrapping his arms around her torso. A warm, wetness caused him to draw one hand away. He looked down at his white hand, now covered in dark red splotches. The teacher cursed under his breath, but had no time to turn the filly around to inspect the wound because Aia’s son drew her away from him at that moment. He watched as they sat down, listening passively to Pan’s worry and Aia’s short reassurance. Wiping his hand on his pant leg, he drew the walkie talkie out of the belt loop.

“This is Nim. We’ve found the students. They’re down on the northwest end of the ravine… yes. Yes, by the river…. No. They’ve both got some old and new cuts, but I don’t think it’s anything too major. I believe the filly is in shock right now though, so it’d be best to hurry and get the helicopter over here so that we can get her to the hospital…. No, he seems mostly fine… Yes, we will. Alright.” Replacing the walkie talkie in the beltloop he turned to Aia, hoping she had calmed down some. It seemed she had at least a little bit, thanks to the sudden activity caused by Berezi. “Aia, the helicopter will be here in just a few moments. We’ll need to take both Berezi and Pan to the hospital, just to make sure everything is alright, and to get some of those wounds stitched up.”

-Nim

myori
Greenhorn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum